Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: 604 and 604B in original cabinet - how do I sell these?

  1. #21
    Hostboard Member TerryE's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2010
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604 and 604B in original cabinet - how do I sell these?

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Thanks for the Heads Up Terry ! I can't believe that they were considered junk.I'm afraid a lot of the Vintage stuff that is irreplaceable ends up this way, unfortunately.
    I'm not sure about this, but my understanding is that there were four other pairs that were given away on a first come/first serve basis a few months before the auction. These were housed in utility cabinets and not of the same vintage as mine, but still. My wife and I were out of the country and didn't hear about the give away until after we returned to the USA.

    I also got a half dozen or so old Altec "salt shaker" microphones that are, I am told, somewhat sought after by drummers.

  2. #22
    Hostboard Member TerryE's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2010
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Here are the pictures of the 604 #32

    I finally found the time to take some pictures of the 604 driver. It looks all original to me, but what do you think? Notice that the serial number is on the label, but it is also stamped in the brass ring/spacer. I'm looking to sell this and my 604b (in their original 605 cabinets) soon. I plan to take better pictures, but are there other bits of the driver that a potential buyer might want to see? Despite a degree from MIT, I am reluctant to dissemble the speaker to take pictures of the diaphragm. I'm sure it's fine.

    I will attach three additional photos of the driver to a following post.

  3. #23
    Hostboard Member TerryE's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2010
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604 and 604B in original cabinet - how do I sell these?

    more pics. Does the code on the cone date the speaker?

  4. #24
    HB Super Moderator
    604 and 604B in original cabinet - how do I sell these?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 604 and 604B in original cabinet - how do I sell these?

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    more pics. Does the code on the cone date the speaker?
    No the cone number should be just the type/model cone used.Since they are so early I don't know about the details of the date stamp on these.Later on Altec used a manufacturing number that was 6-7 digits long that had the date code in it !

    If you want to look at the diaphragm just take the 3 screws off the back cap where the HF terminals are.Just be careful and use a Stainless Steel Screwdriver around the diaphragm after all it is a magnetic field and will suck the driver into the diaphragm if you get to close with a regular steel driver.If you use the Stainless "No problem" Just use caution around it,it is a paper thin aluminium dome.And I don't even have a degree from MIT.

    They are just beautiful Terry ! Very Rare Indeed ! :2thumbsup:

  5. #25
    Hostboard Member TerryE's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2010
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604 and 604B in original cabinet - how do I sell these?

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Just use caution around it,it is a paper thin aluminium dome.And I don't even have a degree from MIT.

    They are just beautiful Terry ! Very Rare Indeed ! :2thumbsup:
    Thanks for the advice. My degree was in a biological science, so unless someone really wants to see the diaphragm, I think I won't bother. Considering the otherwise immaculate condition of the driver, is there any reason to believe that an unmolested diaphragm would be torn or otherwise damaged?

    Terry

  6. #26
    Hostboard Member TerryE's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2010
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604 and 604B in original cabinet - how do I sell these?

    Here are pictures of the HF diaphragms from the 604 (silver) and 604B (black). Why are they different?

    Terry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.